- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds chard – with large stems removed
- 1/2 cup green onions – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley – finely chopped
- salt and black pepper – to taste
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup feta cheese – crumbled
- 1/2 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter – melted
- 1 pound filo pastry sheets
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan, add chard and saute until it is lightly cooked. Remove chard and squeeze out excess liquid, then chop into medium sized pieces. Note: you may saute chard in two batches if necessary. Pour off any liquid from the pan, and add remaining olive oil. Add green onions and saute until soft. Add the chard to the green onions, along with the parsley, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. (This part can be done ahead and kept refrigerated).
Once the greens mixture is cool, stir in the cheese and eggs.
Brush a 9 x 13 baking sheet with some of the melted butter. Spread 6 sheets of filo, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Spoon the chard filling over the filo, then cover with 6 more sheets of filo, buttering each sheet. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden. Let stand for a few minutes and then cut into squares and serve warm.
This is an original recipe submitted by Rosa Blair.