This vibrant salad is best if served slightly warm or at room temperature. It makes a nice colorful addition for picnic fare and pot lucks – just increase the ingredient quantities as needed.
¾ pound Broccoli florets, washed, leaves removed
½ Large red pepper
1 Very small red onion
Zest of 1 orange (optional)
1 Small orange, washed and dried
1 teaspoon Frozen orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch Cayenne
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons Lightly toasted pine nuts
1. Place the broccoli in a steamer basket and cook over high heat until crisp but fork tender and still bright green, about 5 minutes. Remove broccoli from the pot, drain and quickly run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
2. Cut the pepper into slices from stem to blossom end, then cut the slices in half. Set aside. Cut the red onion in half from stem to blossom end, thinly slice each half.
3. If using the optional orange zest, remove the zest with a microplane or zester. Cut the remaining rind off the orange; cut the segments between the membranes and slice each section in half. Set aside.
4. Make the vinaigrette by mixing together the orange juice concentrate, vinegar, olive oil, cayenne and salt and pepper.
5. In a medium bowl mix together the broccoli, peppers, onions, orange segments and pine nuts. Toss with just enough vinaigrette to moisten the vegetables. Sprinkle with orange zest if using. Serve immediately.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare all the ingredients and store them separately, then toss together with the vinaigrette just before serving. If you mix everything ahead, the flavors will muddle and the broccoli will lose its color.