2 cups cooked Kamut grain (see below)
1 bunch broccoli rabe (or other similar vegetable, with or without florets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 Italian-style sausages
1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
A few red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Grated Romano cheese
1. Trim vegetable as needed and chop the stems and leaves into one inch pieces. Keep florets whole.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan. Stir in the sausage and brown over medium-high heat, stirring often. Add 3/4 cup water, chopped tomatoes, cooked kamut, and crushed red pepper flakes. Spread the broccoli rabe on top, cover, and cook 5 to 10 minutes until it’s tender. Add more water as needed.
3. Sprinkle on the vinegar and salt. Pass the cheese in a bowl at the table.
To Cook Kamut Berries:
* Soak Kamut berries overnight and cook, covered, at a simmer, two parts water to one part drained kernels, for about an hour; drain off any remaining water and let sit 15 minutes covered.
* Or, using three parts water to one part kernel, cook for two hours at a simmer; drain and let sit as above.
* Pressure cook 35 to 45 minutes.
Note: 1 cup of the raw berries will yield about 2 1/2 cups cooked.
Adapted from Lorna Sass, “Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way.” www.LornaSass.com