• 1 cup buttermilk* (see note below)
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted on the pan you’ll cook in
• 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 6 tablespoons buckwheat flour
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3 tablespoons butter
1. Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter in a bowl.
2. Mix together white flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in another bowl.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the egg-mixture. Stir until the two mixtures are just incorporated.
4. Heat a griddle or large frying pan to medium; drop a tablespoon of butter or other fat into it and let it melt and start to bubble.
5. Spoon the batter into the frying pan to form pancakes. When the bubbles that form on the surface pop and leave holes, flip the pancakes and cook them on the other side for a couple minutes. Move the pancakes to a warm plate while you cook the rest.
6. Serve with butter and good maple syrup or honey.
*If you don’t have buttermilk, stir a spoonful of lemon juice or vinegar into a cup of sweet milk and let it sit for a minute
Submitted by Eleanor